Sunday, October 4, 2009

List Item #63: Make quiet book

I first got the idea to make a quiet book while watching Grant play in Pottery Barn Kids at Trolley Square in SLC. They had a quiet book there that looked so easy to make. I stealthily took pictures of each of the pages and have wanted to do this. A few months ago Grant started acting up horribly in Sacrament meeting so I figured I had to get serious about finding things for Grant to do. I did some searching on the internet and came across another quiet book idea at ideadoor.com. This one was church related. I decided to combine the two. Below is the result. The church pages are printed right from the website. I then traced the pictures on the back of the paper with an iron on pencil, ironed the pictures onto the muslin, then colored what I could with crayons and outlined with a fabric pen. You then iron the crayon with a paper bag between the iron and the fabric. The time consuming part was the buttons, button holes and activity parts of the pages. For the non-church pages, I copied a lot from the Pottery Barn book but had to make my own patterns. My favorite page is the backpack.


(The closed book - I need to figure out how to decorate the cover but haven't figured that out yet)

(Learn to tell time)
(Jesus Loves Little Children: the children snap and unsnap; learn to button and unbutton the suspendors)

(Jonah and the Whale: Jonah comes out on a piece of elastic; each of Joseph's colored coat stripes comes on and off with a snap)

(Daniel's sheep velcro on and off; Nephi's ship goes from Jerusalem to America from button to button)

(The tithing coins go in the money bag)

(Peter Fishing: unbotton the fish and put them in the net, which are those green squiggly things; Daniel in the Lion's Den: they are finger puppets of Daniel, a lion and an angel)
(Learn to do and undo a belt; learn to undo the backpack)

(Tower of Bable: weave the pieces of felt; snap and unsnap the shirt)

(Noah's Ark: there are animals in the Ark; there is a notepad in the pocket and a pencil)

(Moroni and the Goldplates: The rock opens and the gold plates come out)

No comments: