Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lessons learned in motherhood...

BRIBERY!!!! It works beautifully with 2-1/2 year olds who don't usually want to cooperate. Yesterday, I ventured to the grocery store and Target with both children. Grant is a generally well behaved child by nature but has been acting up more since Cole was born. Therefore, I have reverted to bribery. At the grocery store, if he is good while we shop he gets a cheese stick (it's better than candy). Yesterday, I also purchased him a $.59 mini-pumpkin and promised a ride on the train outside the grocery store if he was good. The bribes worked beautifully. Grant is completely enthralled with pumpkins right now and is learning about Halloween so the pumpkin kept him entertained while shopping. He also sort of loved the train. He was a bit uncertain about the whole thing while riding but when it was done, he wanted to ride again. Too bad mom was out of quarters right? Here is Grant on his train ride. This by the way is a train he's been asking to ride for about the last three weeks but I never have quarters (for real). Bribery, I highly recommend it.


On Monday afternoon, Grant and I had nothing going on so I took the boys to the mall to play and of course scan the sales racks at Old Navy. Grant has a great time playing at the play area there. However, when we got there all he kept saying to me was, "I want to eat. I want Donald's." So, being the over indulgent mother that I am sometimes we bought McDonald's, took a potty break then headed back to the play area. Grant loves his chicken nuggets and chocolate milk and mommy loves her snack wraps, apple pies and Dr. Pepper (I missed it when I was pregnant). While Grant was running around burning off energy and chicken nuggets Cole had a good little nap in the stroller.



Below is a picture of Cole taking a nap on Chad. Chad is not actually sleeping, he just absolutely cannot keep his eyes open for a picture. It drives me insane.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love shopping with both children! When I did all of my special education training we used lots of "bribery" and I still remember one of my professors saying that bribery is when you try to get someone to do something illegal or immoral. Positive reinforcement is when you reward good behavior/choices etc. It always makes me feel better about "rewarding" Addie if I think about it that way. Just in case you need more justification for rewarding Grant. :-)

Marenda