Sunday, October 19, 2008

Adventures of a 2-1/2 Year Old

I have to document these events so I won't forget them. It goes to show how crazy life gets with a 2 year old.

Earlier this week, I was downstairs doing dishes and Grant said he wanted to go upstairs and lay on his bed so I told him to go ahead. Several minutes later, over the sound of running water, I think I hear a fain, "I need to go potty." Those words, or even the thought of those words, send me into hyperspeed, so I rushed upstairs to see if my ears had heard correctly. When I got upstairs, Grant's door was shut so I turned the knob to open it. However, I quickly discovered that the door was locked. Grant had figured out how to lock the door but not unlock the door. I hate our door knobs because they have those weird little holes you have to fit a pointy key into and try to find the right trigger spot. Well, this process took me about 10 minutes. During that 10 minutes I could hear Grant grunting and pushing as he went #2 and then I hear, "Uh oh." I ask him what was wrong and he said he went pee-pee. What a mess I had when I finally got that darn door open.

A couple of days later, at about 2:30 in the morning, I again hear a faint, "I need to go pee pee." I jump out of bed and run to Grant's room. I discover the door shut with the light on and the door locked again. Again, during the 10 minutes it took me to open the door, I hear "Uh oh" as he goes potty behind the door. I had just gotten back to bed 1 hour earlier after feeding Cole and Cole woke up again at 4:30. That was a rough night.

Sometimes, I really question my decision to potty train Grant before Cole was born. It's definitely a mixed blessing.

Grant has also become quite the stubborn little boy since Cole came into the family. If I had a dollar for every "No!" I hear each day, I'd be rich and Chad could quit working. He dumped his huge box of blocks out onto the floor the other day. When Chad and I asked him to pick them up in preparation for bed, the answer was a continuous no. Chad and I took away his binkie and said no movies the next day but to no avail. Of course, this was during an approximate 1 hour tantrum of crying and screaming by Grant. He finally went to bed, never having picked up the blocks. Chad just through a blanket over the blocks (to keep the dogs from chewing them in the night) and left them on the floor. All through the next day, Grant repeatedly asked for a movie and every time I had to say not until the blocks were picked up. I also asked him repeatedly if he wanted to pick up the blocks and the answer was always no. Those blocks sat on the floor all day long. Do you want to know what finally got him to pick them up? Chad pulled out the back of tortilla chips to have my delicious mango salsa. Grant wanted chips and Chad said he had to put a block away to have a chip. Surprisingly, he ran right over and put a block in the box. With each chip, he had to put away more and more blocks. Eventually, after a couple of hours he put away the entire pile of blocks. Why tortilla chips and not a binkie or Cars created the motivation I'll never understand but after 24 hours they were finally put away?

As Grant's t-shirt says, "I'm 2 and there's nothing you can do about it." Sad but true.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So much fun!!! I think that a new baby really can affect things like potty training. I had started with Addie because she wanted to do it and for 2 weeks right after she turned 2 was just about perfect. Then (right when I was on bed rest and having Kasen) she changed her mind and it was another 9 months before she was really potty trained.

I am glad that for the most part she rarely has an accident anymore!

I don't envy the messes you have had but I guess it is part of the territory!

Marenda