Friday, August 22, 2008

Adventures in Potty Training

I began the mission of potty training this past Wednesday after my doctor's appointment. It has been long and exhausting but not quite as bad as I expected it to be. I am following the 3 day potty training method found at 3daypottytraining.com. He has come far in just over 48 hours. Wednesday was all about accident after accident. I bought about 25 pair of underwear and he went through just about everyone on Wednesday alone. The reward though was that Wednesday night he did not pee his bed all night. He woke up completely dry on Thursday morning. By Thursday late morning, he had finally peed in the toilet, after starting in his underwear of course. This continued for all of Thursday. One time he did actually tell me before he had to go. His mother was so proud. Today we have been focusing on telling me before he starts to go. This morning was rough and we had some regression. He fought me a couple times on sitting on the potty but since his nap he's been on track and has peed and stayed dry. He has non-verbal signals that I have figured out and that counts as telling mommy. Naps are the big problem. He doesn't hold it during naps at all, nor does he wake up. He gets up from his nap completely soaked. I don't know what to do about this so if there are any suggestions (other than putting on a diaper) I'd love to hear them. I'll keep you all posted on the potty training endeavors of the Mellen family. I know you're all deeply interested.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Potty Training, What fun! If you can do it in 3 days you are in great shape. It took us the better part of a year to potty train Addie. She acted really interested right when she turned 2 and then wanted nothing to do with it. (I think some of it had to do with me having Kasen.) I tried off and on but she finally decided to do it a little before she turned 3. Good luck. I hope it goes well. I'll have to try it with Kasen.

Marenda