Friday, September 11, 2009

The World's Longest Tantrum

Below is the aftermath of one of the longest and worst tantrums Grant has thrown to date and he's thrown some doozies. It started at the YMCA. I took him there after walking for his gymnastics class. He was fine until it came time to give his card to his teacher and go into class. He wouldn't do it. He actually laid on the floor in the middle of the lobby and covered his face. He would not go to gymnastics. Finally, we just sat in the chairs and he watched his class. Toward the end, he got up and tried to play on some of the equipment so I said he either needed to go to class, sit down and watch or we would leave. He wanted nothing to do with sitting or class so we headed out. That's when all hell broke loose. He didn't have his shoes on and he wouldn't hold still for them so I headed out the door with him screaming behind me. I had to drag him to the car and put him kicking and screaming in his seat. He is in a booster seat now with just a seat belt and has figured out how to undo the seatbelt. I would get him buckled and get myself in the car and he would have the belt undone. This happened numerous times. Somehow, I finally managed to make it out of the YMCA parking lot and down the road but by the time I got to the first light he had the belt undone again. I was at the YRMC/Hastings light for those familiar with Prescott. The funny thing is that when I started driving at the light change he freaked out because his belt wasn't buckled. I pulled into the Hastings parking lot and took him out of the car and sat on the curb for about 10 minutes with him snuggly in my arms while he screamed, spit, writhed, bit, kicked and did who knows what else. Poor Cole was in the Jeep with the a/c on all by himself during this. Finally, I put Grant back in the car, a little more calmed down. However, we only made it to the Williamson Valley/Iron Springs light before the seat belt was off again and don't be fooled there was much screaming and crying and yelling during this entire drive, which really only takes about six minutes. Again, when I made the turn at the light Grant started freaking out because he wasn't buckled, even though he was the who unbuckled himself. I turned in the Abia Judd parking lot and buckled him but before I could get back into the car he unbuckled himself again. By this time I was only about two minutes from home so I left him unbuckled and drove home. I did not say much to Grant during this ordeal and was even struggling not to laugh because it was so ridiculous and that just made Grant even madder. At home, I silently removed him from the car, dragged him up to his room, shut the gate and left him up there. About 10 minutes later, as I was trying to feed Cole, who by this time was crying himself from being made upset by Grant's screaming, I hear, "I just pee peed my pants." I left Cole in his boosterseat and went upstairs. I found Grant without underwear or pants on and a big pile of pee on the our thankfully wood floor in his room. He had removed his pants but peed in his underwear. He was already in the process of putting on new underwear and shorts. I went and got a rag, wiped it up and shut the gate again without saying one word. Grant was of course still yelling and crying through all of this. About 20 minutes later, I went to put Cole to nap and checked in on Grant. Below is what I found. The video helps because he turned the music on by himself. It was just one of those days.



1 comment:

Greg and Lara said...

Wowsers! Kudos to you for handling it without yelling at him. I love the final video...perfect!