Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Amazed

That is what I was today when I caught the last 10 minutes of Grant's kindergarten class. Miss Sonja was reviewing shapes with them. She was asking how many sides and corners various shapes had and the children were yelling out the answers. She then drew this shape and asked the children to name it:
Many children yelled out "diamond" but then she asked what mathematicians call this shape. I was stumped. The children weren't. They called out "rhombus." Who knew? I sure didn't.
My amazement didn't end there. She then drew this shape on the board and asked the children to name it:
The children raised their hands this time. She called on Grant. Grant, with all of the confidence in the world, said "trapezoid." I was floored. I had no idea kindergarteners, particularly my kindergartener, knew the name of such a tricky shape. I suppose that's what I get for underestimating my child's smarts.
Cole has been amazing me these past weeks also. A friend stopped me in the hall in church on Sunday to tell me how sweet she thought Cole was and how amazed she was at how polite our little Colar Bear is. She's right though. That boy, through no training on my part, habitually and sincerely says, "Thank you," "You're welcome," and "I love you." Not only do the words alone melt a mother's heart but add to it his adorable little three year old voice and it makes it impossible to ever get angry at the child. Cole just exudes sweetness in all he does and says. I wish I could bottle his innocence and keep him this way forever.
Tyler's sweetness and smiles amaze me everyday. Who wouldn't be forever softened and amazed by this sweet face and his sweet little laugh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leTck0_Yc_g

No comments: