Sunday, December 28, 2008

Progress report on list - (post revised to add photos)

I revised this post to include pictures, per request from Adrian.

I am slowly but surely working on and/or accomplishing various items on my 101 list. I thought I would give a progress report, mostly to help me figure out where I stand.

#7 - Read scriptures daily: I am working on that. Sometimes are better than others but I'm making a conscious effort. I'm doing better than I've done in a long time and I'm already in Mosiah.

#9 - Walk or run 3 times per week: This is also a work in progress. I have good weeks and bad weeks. I can't run while I'm breastfeeding so it's all walking. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Christmas present, a brand new double jogging stroller. I believe that this new item will help motivate me to be more consistent.

#18 - Read scriptures with Grant: I continue to try to do this with him but he rebels. He does not want to read them with me. I have a board book Book of Mormon, which he'll never let me read to him. I just got the paperback, comic strip style Book of Mormon, for Christmas for him and tried to read it to him this morning without success. So, on this, I'm trying but running into 2-1/2 year old resistance.

#26 - Have a date night once per month: Chad and I have actually done this for November and December. Before that, Cole was too young to leave with a sitter. In November, Chad and I went to the opera and left the kids with my brother and sister. In December, we went to see Rain, a Beattles tribute band. Chad's co-residents, Rachael and Jessica, volunteered to babysit. I'm working on a date night for January to celebrate our anniversary. I'm hoping to keep this up.

#27 - Shift hair part to the right: I have actually started working on this and it's difficult and annoying. I now have hair in my eyes which I hate and somtimes I'm sure I look ridiculous with the way my bangs fall but I suppose eventually I will have success if I stick with it. That's what this about isn't it?

#30 - Collect all 50 state quarters: I had a good start to the collection before this list began. I am now trying to finish it and am about there. I need to talk with my sister to see about getting me quarters from the Philadelphia mint. You can only find those on the east coast. All of ours out here are from the Denver mint.


#53 - Explore Bisbee with Chad: Chad and I did this over Thanksgiving weekend with my brothers and sister. We had a good time and I wrote a previous blog post about it.




#54 - Say prayers daily: As with daily scripture study, success ebbs and flows but the main point is that I'm working on it and trying to be successful.
#55 - Finish Dallas TV series: I am through season 3 and anxiously awaiting the arrival of new episodes. Chad finally set it up so that Dallas alternates with his dumb horror movies rather than about 3 of his movies to one of mine. JR has been shot though but we don't know who did it. That's where season 3 left off.
#64 - Update blog weekly: I'm doing well at this, except for the month in which our computer didn't work. I've caught up though and will keep going with this.
#68 - Paint Grant's toy chest: I got this done at the beginning of December while Chad and Grant were away. It turned out really well. You can see pictures in an earlier blog post if you're interested.


#71 - Learn to make jam: As I posted in a previous blog, I tried to make prickly pear jelly but that did n't turn out. The sealed unset jars of jelly are still sitting on top of my refrigerator waiting for me to open them and make another attempt at getting them to set. In the meantime, I have learned how to make freezer jam correctly. Amy and I made an attempt in August with peaches we bought from Apple Annie's but it didn't set up. We learned later it was because the fruit shouldn't be pureed. Just last night, I made another batch of freezer jam, this time strawberry. I used two different brands of pectin so they were made differently. One I had to boil the pectin, the other I didn't. I am curious to see how each turns out and have marked the jars so I know which is which. Any guesses as to which will work?
#79 - Attend the temple 6 times in 12 months: I was able to go to the temple for the first time in ages with my brother Brad the weekend before Christmas. I am making it a goal to get back within the next two months and make this list item successful.
#84 - Get a massage: I did this one. I know you're all jealous. I bought Chad a gift certificate for a massage for his graduation but he never used it and it expired at the end of this year. He did not have any opportunity to use it before the expiration so I got to use it while Grant was up with sister ealier this month. It was so nice but wow was I in bad shape. I was sore for several days afterwards and so unbelievably tired after the massage. I think I need more.
#88 - Read the Book of Mormon all the way through: This goes hand in hand with reading daily and I will be done with the Book of Mormon before my time for this list expires.
#93 - Have two more children (including the one in utero): As of September 17, 2008, this one is half done. No plans to finish this one for awhile though. I'm still about 30 pounds and immeasureable amounts of sleep and sanity away from that.

#96 - Make a Halloween costume for Grant: I did this one this year and he was the most adorable clown I've ever seen. You can see cute pictures of him in a previous blog post or two.


#97 - Throw a baby shower: Amy Studley and I threw a baby shower for Adrian Sanders. We had a good time putting it together and I think Adrian enjoyed herself. Amy and I have different strengths and weaknesses so working together we were able to make it a good shower all around.

#99 - Get estate planning done: This is almost done. I met with the attorney and he drafted everything up. I now have the drafts printed and sitting on my counter to read. They ahve been there for a good 2-3 weeks. I need to review them and get it done. If anyone needs a good estate planner in Tucson go to Tim Struse. He's great and not too expensive.

#100 - Clean out and organize garage: I am almost done with this. Chad worked a few Saturdays ago so I had both boys in the garage hanging out while I cleaned, threw away, swept and organized. I only have to finish the tool table, which I'm putting off. The rest of the garage looks great and I'll post pictures when I finish the tool table.

4 comments:

Adrian said...

Lindsay, I’m so impressed with everything you’ve done!! Maybe I’m a little jealous because I’m stuck on the couch while you’ve been so productive!! Way to go with daily scripture reading, prayer and temple attendance! Seriously high five! I’m so glad your computer is fixed so you can blog regularly again! Although, I would request more pictures of all the things you’ve done (ie Grant’s toy chest, the organized garage, jam, your hair part, whatever). We need more pictures!!!!

Adrian said...

I forgot to mention how amazing the shower was!! You and Amy did such an awesome job!! I feel so blessed to have you as friends!!! I'm glad I could help you check something off your list!

By the way, do I ever get to see that advice book? I think I might be needing it pretty soon! ;)

Unknown said...

I wanted to tell you that the distribution center now has the scripture stories on DVD and it is just the "comic book" scripture pictures with narration so it is like reading those books you can get at the distribution center or online. I ordered one online because in Orem I am so far from a distribution center but I was lazy and they don't even charge shipping. I think it was $6.00 for all 4 dvds. We watch them at night while Addie gets ready for bed etc. She loves them and I feel better about our scripture reading! Just a thought. I had never seen the dvd until this last family planning resource guide. Good luck!

Marenda

Adrian said...

Thanks for your revision! Totally not necessary, but it SO made my day! The toy chest turned out so cute! Love the quarters picture too!