Friday, December 21, 2007

Our Christmas Adventures

Well, after being home for exactly one week from Puerto Rico, we are off again to Salt Lake City to be with Chad's mom, sister and brother for the holidays. Despite my deep and avid protestations (I'm a lawyer, we all know I'm good at that) I lost out and we had to drive to the promised land, which is about 14 hours away. We arrived this evening. We luckily drove to Vegas last night and stayed with Chad's friend Mike and his family for the night and then drove the rest of the way today. We are not so lucky coming home unfortunately. The trip will be made in one day. Thank goodness for laptops and DVDs. They help kill the time with the child but it's still a struggle. I have already decreed that this is the first last and only road trip of its kind for a very long time. Toddlers and car seats for long periods of time just do not mix. We will be here in SLC through Wednesday then begin our pilgrimage home on Thursday. Chad's sister is coming back with us and my sister is flying in for New Years on Friday so the fun doesn't end when we depart SLC.
I'm not really sure what we're going to end up doing here but honestly I really don't care. I'm just happy to be some place wintery for a brief period of time. There is actually snow on the ground and predictions of more snow to come. Coming from Tucson, I get sentimental for those freezing Chicago winters. I have just been looking at some blogs for some of my friends and they have pictures of their kids in the backyard making snowmen. It did snow in Tucson last winter, oddly enough. It even stuck for awhile but it's not the same and what is Christmas without snow. Chad's mom lives in a condo by U of U. Her building has an indoor and heated pool and hot tub, which Chad and I have already made good use of. When Chad's mom took us to go look at it, Grant started to get in. When I told him he couldn't swim because he had his PJs on he actually started trying to take off his shirt. I'm not really sure when or how he got so smart. He blows my mind on a daily basis with the things he knows and understands.
I am looking forward to Christmas morning with Grant. He is already trying to open all of the presents. He got an early lesson in present opening with some early Christmas gifts and now he thinks it's time to open all of them. Sadly, I forgot both my camera and video camera at home and didn't remember until we were half way to Vegas. I am at the mercy of my mother-in-law and sister-in-law for pictures and I hate that. Sometimes, I'm just not a good mom.

No comments: